One of the chronic diseases which may turn fatal at times is asthma. Although the exact cause of this problem is not known, however, it is a proven fact that pollution, allergic foods, certain medicines, sulfites and weather conditions play a pivotal role in asthma attacks in children and adults. Knowing your warning signs of an impending attack is the first step to take precaution. There are some home remedies as well as general precautions which can keep you away from severe attacks.
- Keep your home dust free– Dust which contains irritants like dust mite collect in your beddings, old rugs and curtains and they cause severe allergic reactions. Wash your bed spreads and pillow covers weekly once with boiling hot water to kill the dust mites. Wear a mask and gloves while dusting the interior of your home. Keep the interior of your house dry so that molds do not form in the dark and damp places like faucets and toilets.
- Keep your pets at bay– Pet dander triggers problems of asthma when they enter your respiratory system through breathing. If you have any asthma patient at your home, its best to keep your home free from pets. You can make a separate accommodation outside your home for your pets. They should not be allowed inside the room of children with asthma problem.
- Be aware of your warning signs– Blocking of nose, running none, whizzing, coughing and shortness of breath are the common symptoms which triggers an asthma attack. You can measure your peak airflow at home with the help of a peak flow meter. Thus you can have an assessment of your lungs function and take necessary precautions to prevent an attack. Keep your anti allergic medicines and inhalers during the season you are susceptible to asthma attacks.
- A healthy diet keeps the doctor away-Your diet is directly related to your asthma problem as certain foods have immediate allergic reaction to our body even before we understand clearly. Also there are certain foods that have almost magical effect in prevention of asthma. Recent studies have shown Vitamins C& E, Beta-carotene, magnesium, selenium, flavonoids and Omega-3 fatty acids play a vital role in improving lungs function and preventing asthma. Eat as much fresh fruits and vegetables as possible.
- A strict no-no to sulfides– Foods that are rich in potassium bisulfide or sodium sulfide may trigger your asthma attack. Both these ingredients are the used for preserving foods for long time e.g. wine, beer, pickles, tinned or frozen berries, shrimps etc. Due to presence of potassium bisulfide an asthmatic patient may suffer from broncho-spasm and other symptoms of asthma attack. Dried fruits like raisins or apricots are also in the list.
Apart from the preventive measures mentioned above, regular exercises and yoga will strengthen your lungs capacity and help you fight asthma with ease. A healthy diet and stress-free lifestyle is the key to keep this problem at miles away from you!